There are several reasons an air conditioner or dehumidifier may turn off on its own. This article will discuss the troubleshooting steps for the most common causes.
1. Unplug the appliance from the power source for 5 minutes.
2. Remove and clean the air filter.
3. The appliance needs to be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Do not plug the appliance into a power strip, extension cord, surge protector or splitter.
4. Plug the appliance into its own circuit, do not share with other devices. When the compressor engages it will draw large amounts of power and may exceed the circuit limit if other devices are also plugged in.
5. If the above does not resolve the issue plug the appliance into another circuit. Though this step is not convenient for window air conditioners it may help identify if the issue is related to faulty electrical on the circuit or the device itself.
6. If the appliance will run on a different circuit it is recommended to consult an electrician to diagnose the failure. If the appliance continues to fail on a different circuit there may be an issue with the appliance itself.