Recommended window air conditioner sizing chart
|Area to be cooled (Sq. ft.)||Recommended BTUs|
|150 sq. ft.||5,000 BTUs|
|250 sq. ft.||6,000 BTUs|
|350 sq. ft.||8,000 BTUs|
|450 sq. ft.||10,000 BTUs|
|550 sq. ft.||12,000 BTUs|
|700 sq. ft||15,000 BTUs|
|1,000 sq. ft.||18,000 BTUs*|
|1,300 sq. ft.||22,000 BTUs*|
|1,500 sq. ft.||24,000 BTUs*|
There are also other factors besides the square footage that need to taken into consideration when selecting the correct size air conditioner.
- How much direct sunlight does the AC or the room receive?
- How many windows does the room have?
- How many people are typically in the room?
- Does the room also contain large appliances such as refrigerators or in use stoves?
- Are the ceilings higher than the standard 8 to 10 foot tall?
If any of these addition factors apply you may want to consider going up to the next size window air conditioner based on the chart.
* Higher capacity air conditioners require 230 volts and do not use the standard 120 volt plugs found in homes.